Tuesday, August 2, 2011

2nd Half of Season

GAME 6: @ Utah Blitz

This game was a bit of a grudge match. I think having a giant break in the season helped/hurt us. I was thankful for the couple byes in a row due to the fact I had a concussion and this meant I didn't have to miss any games. However, having 2 weeks off and then playing in high elevation was difficult.

Utah returned the opening kick off back for a touchdown and that was the final score. 8-0. We moved the ball well but like all season struggled in the red zone. The adversity with the injuries and the coaching changes and constant offensive play changes made it very difficult offensively this year.

Our defense played well and pitched a shut out other than that kick return.

Erin Diurba made an awesome catch for an interception that was ESPN worthy. Mac laid a hit that made me giggle like a kid. There were some good plays in there.

GAME 7: @ CENTRAL CAL

Well reader I frankly would like to forget this game. We had 17 people for this game which is just not enough when you are playing a physical team. The good news is we found a passing game this game.

I had 80 yard catch and almoooost scored but kind of ran out of gas. Jet probably had the best passing game I've ever seen her have. I don't think they were expecting us to pass much. I don't think WE even knew lol

However, like most of the season against better teams...when you have 17 people you get tired and they wore us down and the score quickly grew in the 2nd half.

The end of this game got a bit ugly which is the part I would like to forget. I'm so damn competitive on the field that even if you are kicking my ass I will keep going hard and keep getting up. That's just my mentality in football. It kind of HAS to be your mentality especially if you are a running back. It's a survival tactic.

Plus the beauty in football is it's like life. You get knocked down? Get back up. Want to piss someone off that is talking shit? You get back up. That's how you win that mental battle. You DON'T give in.

This makes it hard for me to understand other viewpoints of people who don't view football the same way.

I won't get into to the details but I do think all involved learned something from it.

GAME 8: vs. SPOKANE

At this point in the season we really had faced a lot of shit. I really think most other teams would have folded under all that adversity. But we did have a solid core that stuck together and we were determined to finish out this season on a high note.

Unfortunately, Spokane didn't have enough players to come down and play us. After a few days of trying to make it work they ended up having to forfeit.

This meant we ended 4-4 and division champions. To go through hell and still get to the playoffs is bittersweet but we are happy to get there.

PLAYOFFS: @ BAY AREA

After trying to scrap together as many players as we could for this game we still ended up with 17 suited. Jet had to have surgery on her broken finger that she had played with then entire season. Other people couldn't go due to work and/or financial issues.

It was what it was but we still made the trip down to the Bay.

Even though they wore us down and put up numbers on the board we did somethings well and I don't think we felt ashamed at all.

After the game the Bay Area announcer gave me a shout out on the PA which to be completely honest really meant a lot to me. After such a difficult season it was nice to hear someone noticed my hard work.

I have been lucky enough to have made good friends on several other teams the last couple of years and have made some good connections with the Bay Area team.

After the game I met up with Joy and her wife Anne and we went down to the Castro for the SF Pride weekend. I was very excited about this because I had never been to SF Pride. It was packed down there but I had a lot of fun. Later we met up with Rowena and her gf, and I met Jen and her sister Alli. I had a blast people watching and laughing at Joy screaming at the street sweepers that kept interrupting our fun.

The next day I met up with some of my teammates for the SF Pride parade. We had a lot of fun but got hella burnt. We think it's because we were standing next to a glass building which reflected down on us. However it happened we all were passing around Aloe the rest of the trip back.

No comments:

Post a Comment